Moving to North Carolina
Some useful links for those lucky enough to be moving to our great state.
Driving in N.C.
- Get a driver's license (Required before registering your vehicle)
- Vehicle Registration (Required within 30 days of moving here or soon after obtaining a job within the state. After you apply for your N.C. driver's license, you will get a 20 day temporary driving certificate, and your new license will be mailed in 5 to 10 days. Your new driver's license will allow you to register your vehicle.)
- Order a State Map
Education in N.C.
- About public education, the standard course of study in public schools, and graduation requirements
- I am moving to the area. How do I enroll my child in school? Enrollment is handled at the local level. Please contact your school district for further details. Visit the N.C. School Report Cards site to look up school and school district contact information.
- At what age can my child start school? If the child reaches the age of five years on or before August 31st of the year he/she is presented for enrollment, the child is eligible to enroll. If his fifth birth date falls on or after September 1st, the child is not eligible to enroll. Please speak with your school or school system's central office concerning questions about child placement or enrollment instructions/requirements. More information about school entry age.
- Frequently asked questions about enrolling in N.C. schools.
- University of North Carolina System
- Independent Colleges in North Carolina
- Community College System